University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2012-2016)
Biology (B.A.), Communication Studies (B.A.), Marine Science minor
Summer 2015 Top Oral Presentation – UNC Graduate School
Sept 2015-Present Increasing Diversity and Enhancing Academia (IDEA) 2015-2016 Academic Year Internship
November 2011 Eagle Scout
MANUSCRIPTS AND PUBLICATIONS
Aichelman, H. E.; Townsend, J.; Courtney, T.; Baumann, J.; Castillo, K. D. “Heterotrophy mitigates the response of the temperate coral Occulina arbuscula to temperature stress”. Ecology and Evolution 4 August 2016.
Baumann, J.; Townsend, J.; Courtney, T.; Aichelman, H. E.; Davies, S. W.; Castillo, K. D. “Temperature regimes impact coral assemblages along environmental gradients on lagoonal reefs of Belize”. PLoS ONE 11(9): e016298.
June 2014-May 2016 Undergraduate Researcher – UNC Marine Sciences Department
Advisor: Dr. Karl Castillo
- Understanding the interactive effect of nitrate and low salinity on the tropical coral Siderastrea siderea
- Investigating the effect of feeding on growth of the temperate coral Oculina arbuscula
- Investigating acclimation and resilience in corals on the Belize Barrier Reef System (BBRS)
March 2015-June 2015 Sea Education Association (SEA) – Woods Hole, MA
Advisor: Dr. Amy Siuda
- Studying the morphology and population connectivity of Panulirus argus phyllosoma
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS
June 2016 Townsend, J; Baumann, JH; Aichelman, HE; Courtney, T; Davies, SW; Castillo, KD. “An accurate and cost-effective survey method: video transects with GoPro® technology”. Poster accepted to present at the International Coral Reef Symposium, Honolulu, HI. June 2016.
Feb 2016 Townsend, J; Bove, CB; Baumann, JH; Davies, SW; Castillo, KD. “The interactive effects of nutrient and salinity stress on coals from distinct environments on the Belize Barrier Reef System”. Poster presented at the Ocean Sciences Meeting, New Orleans, LA. February 2016.
June 2015 Townsend, J; Botta, W. J.; Plantz, R. W. “Dispersion dynamics of the Caribbean spiny lobster Panulirus argus phyllosoma”. Poster presented at the Sea Education Association Annual Sargasso Sea Symposium, Woods Hole, MA. June 2015.
April 2016 Townsend, J; Bove, CB; Baumann, JH; Davies, SW; Castillo, KD. “The interactive effects of nutrient and salinity stress on coals from distinct environments on the Belize Barrier Reef System”. Presented at the Undergraduate Research Symposium, Chapel Hill, NC. April 2016
July 2015 Townsend, J.; Baumann, J.; Aichelman, H. E.; Courtney, T.; Davies, S.W.; Castillo, K. D. “Characterizing coral reef community structure across reef sites with different thermal regimes”. Presented at the Undergraduate Summer Research Symposium, Chapel Hill, NC. July 2015.
June 2015 Huston, G.; Keefe, M.; Rolf, K.; Townsend, J. “Stressors on biodiversity and natural resources in the sargasso sea”. Presented at Sea Education Association Annual Sargasso Sea Symposium, Woods Hole, MA. June 2015.
- Nautical skills aboard tall ship and powered vessels- Sea Education Association
- AAUS Scientific Diver/PADI AOW and Nitrox
- R Statistical Analysis – Castillo Lab, UNC Marine Sciences Department
- AGRRA Caribbean coral identification- Castillo Lab, UNC Marine Sciences Department
- Live coral tank experiment design and experience- Castillo Lab, UNC Marine Sciences Department
- DNA extraction, amplification, and analysis- Sea Education Association
- Image and film editing using Adobe Creative Suite and Final Cut Pro
- Neuston net sampling- Sea Education Association
- Conductivity, Temperature, and Depth (CTD) deployment and analysis- Sea Education Association
RELEVANT COURSEWORK COMPLETED
Biology – general biology (with laboratory component), ecology and evolution, genetics and microbiology, cell and developmental biology, organismal biology (with laboratory component), global biodiversity and macroecology, behavioral ecology
Chemistry – general chemistry (with laboratory component) and organic chemistry
Math – calculus, statistics
Geology – coastal geology, global earth systems
Marine Science – basic principles, marine biodiversity, ocean science and public policy, marine ecology, marine physiological ecology, biological oceanography (graduate level), ocean science and public policy, nautical science
Communications/Media Production- introduction and advanced media production, documentary production
OTHER ACTIVITIES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Produced, directed, and filmed for “North Carolina Now: Pettigrew State Park”
Broadcast on UNC-TV on December 2, 2014
Additional self produced works
Red Cross CPR and First Aid for the Professional Rescuer
North Carolina Boater Education Certification